Global Hospitality Report (October 14, 2014)

2014 Canadian Hotel Valuation Index 
By Monique Rosszell and Frank DiCosimo

The HVS 2014 Canadian Hotel Valuation Index (HVI) not only releases countrywide hotel values for 2013 but also projects the direction of these values through 2017.

In Focus: Wroclaw, Poland 
By Pavlos Papadimitriou and Panagiotis Verykios

This summary article depicts historical and future tourism trends in Wroclaw, Poland.

Five Key Takeaways - Independent Lodging Congress 
By Anjali Peterson

The second annual Independent Lodging Congress, held on September 29 to 30 in Philadelphia, brought together a mix of hotel owners, management companies, developers, lenders, and suppliers to explore the future of independent hotels.

As Caribbean Hotel Performance Strengthens, CHICOS to Discuss Key Issues Impacting the Investment Climate in the Region  

The Caribbean market continues to re-gain its momentum and market-wide average rate has increased every year since 2010; however, average rate throughout the region increased notably by 7.5% in August 2014 as compared to the same period last year. While these increases bode well for the Caribbean lodging market, the financing of new projects is the current challenge. As such, panels and workshops at the Caribbean Hotel Investment Conference & Operations Summit (CHICOS – November 13-14, 2014) will focus on key subjects impacting the investment climate in the region including available capital and the financing of new projects.

Host Heads to Berlin’s Grand Esplanade  

Host Hotels & Resorts carried out three hotel transactions this week: it acquired a hotel in Miami and sold one in Tampa, in Florida in the USA, and purchased a 90% stake in a property in Berlin, Germany. Host’s joint venture in Europe acquired a 90% interest in the owning company of the Grand Hotel Esplanade for €81 million from Event Hotel Group. An affiliate of Event will continue to manage the 394-room hotel and another affiliate still retains the remaining 10% interest in the property. Plans are afoot to reflag the hotel under a franchise agreement with an international brand.


Superior Results through Unrivaled Hospitality Intelligence. Everywhere.